The Ultimate September Home Care Checklist
Can you believe it’s September already? As summer turns into fall, it’s time to take a look at those DIY projects around the house.
We put a lot of emphasis on spring cleaning, but what about those tasks that can’t be put off for another few months? Check out the Ultimate September Home Care Checklist from the Diamond Power Washing & Maintenance team.
Week One: Start From The Top
In North Florida, rainy summers–combined with the effects of humidity and hurricane season–make the perfect atmosphere for mold and other gunk to clog up the outside of your home. Starting from the top, take a look at any problem areas on the outside of your home.
- Give the roof a good scrub.
- Clear out the gutters.
- Power wash (or soft wash) wood sidings.
- Get rid of mold and mildew in hard-to-reach areas (like the undersides of gutters and the intersection of walls and roofs).
- Leave the tough jobs to the experts. Diamond Power Washing & Maintenance specializes in pressure washing, soft washing, roof cleaning, and mold/mildew renewal!
Week Two: Work Your Way Around
Now that you’ve given your home a good base scrub, work your way around to those lesser-touched areas. Start with a look at your driveway, sidewalks, and yard to find opportunities for improvement.
- Replace landscaping materials (like gravel and mulch) that have been washed away or tossed around by summer storms.
- Remove oil stains in the driveway with a top-quality power wash.
- Restore the shine to your sidewalks and curbs.
- Pressure wash your patio or pool deck to get rid of summer scum.
- Book a paver resealing or waterproofing treatment to prep your patio for winter.
Week Three: Head Indoors
We saved the indoors for halfway through the month, since by now you’ve kicked up plenty of dirt! In addition to the usual room cleaning, clothes donating, and counter scrubbing, take on a few fall-specific tasks that need taken care of at this time of year.
- Check drains for clogs and snags, particularly after a rough hurricane season. (Indoors, you’re looking for hair and soap scum, but make sure to double-check your outdoor water lines, like your water main and gutters, for clogs from falling leaves.)
- Scrub down your patio furniture. If you live in a chilly part of Florida, clear space in your garage to store your patio furniture during the winter.
- Clean heat ducts and registers. Replace the air filters in your air conditioning. Test your heating system before the temperature drops, so you know it works when you need it!
- Turn your mattress. (We always forget this step during spring cleaning!) Swap the “head” end for the “feet” end to prolong the life (and comfort!) of your mattress.
- If you have a fireplace, give the chimney a good cleaning and clear out any ash and soot.
Week Four: What Did We Forget?
By the final week of September, the temperatures are (finally!) dropping and you’re getting ready for a cozy fall and winter in your North Florida home. This last week is an excellent opportunity to take care of tasks that might have fallen off your to-do list, or scheduling services you didn’t quite get to earlier in the month.
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms. Test all your other safety devices (fire extinguishers, security alarms, etc.) and make any necessary replacements.
- Perform a maintenance check on your lesser-treated appliances, like your washer and dryer, the fridge, and the dishwasher.
- Weatherproof your home for winter. Florida winters are mild, but you can still buff windows and doors against drafts, boost your insulation to save on energy bills, and make sure everything is in working order.
- Check on your houseplants, particularly those that struggle during temperature changes. Move outdoor plants inside to avoid the first frost of the year, and give indoor plants a light dusting.
- This one’s important: Book your fall and winter treatments in advance! Take some stress out of the end of the year by planning your home treatments for the future. As we head toward winter, our service calendar fills up fast. Give Diamond Power Washing & Maintenance a call at (904) 747-4DPW (4379) and ask about our fall specials!
So, how can we help take some of your September maintenance tasks off your plate? Give the team a call or fill out our online estimate form to get your FREE quote! For those tougher tasks, like roof cleaning and pressure washing, trust the experts at Diamond Power Washing & Maintenance.